In 1890, Bishop Aldering of the Diocese of Fort Wayne asked Rev. Emmanuel Wrobel to start a parish for the Polish speaking people of Michigan City. Temporary quarters were set up in Saint Mary’s rectory and services were held on the second floor of the grade school.
In January 1891, Fr. Wrobel was appointed pastor of the new parish, and the same year a two-story combination school-church-sister’s convent was constructed.
In 1906, he enlarged the building, and then expanded to a two-story rectory. The combination building continued to be used for all three purposes until 1926, when the Rev. Jospeh Bolka, who succeeded Fr. Wrobel in 1909, built a very large church. In 1938, Fr. Bolka built a modern convent for the School Sisters of Notre Dame, who had charge of the school. Two years later, in 1940, he dismantled the old combination church and school and built a modern school, which stands today.
Although the Nuns no longer instruct our children, the Catholic Education spirit they began so many years ago is still alive today. While we embrace our Polish heritage, today’s parish is a diverse community of all ethnicities.